So after meeting with the pediatrician Friday, it's official, we are entering the dreaded, "Terrible Two's". The stage is identified by the child leaving a egocentric, "I am the center of the universe" phase of life and slowly realizing that the world does not revolve around his every need and want, but in fact, is determined by what his parents deem best for him. This realization is coming as such a shock to his little system that he reacts in the only way he knows how right now: by screaming and thrashing about like a wild man, followed by clinging ferverently to me or his Daddy as if to say, "Don't let me grow up any more, I don't want to learn about any more of these overwhelming changes happening in my life. I want things to be exactly as they are right now, FOREVER!" I can totally identify with this thought process, as I have thought this way for most of my life as well. Unfortunately, little man, this cannot happen, and it is my job, and Chase's, to lead you through this tough part of life and teach you how to handle things on your own. Starting, with, knowing the appropriate time to; 1. go to bed, eat, play by yourself, play with me and dad, sit at the table, etc. 2. knowing that it is not okay to express yourself by acting like a wild banshee, but that we understand you are frustrated with the world around you and trying to test your limits as best you can, but also, 3. That we love you unconditionally and are going to protect you in every way we know how, and that, by ignoring your tantrums we are only trying to teach you socially acceptable ways to express your needs and wants.
PHEW! This is going to be hard work, but after a weekend of studying and reading up, I feel we have a game plan and I am ready to be proactive at navigating the Terrifying two's. I am determined they will be instead of terrible, Terrific! Wish me luck.
On a positive note, she did say he looked great developmentally, was very well behaved, smart, and is growing like a weed. 22.5 pounds, 32.5 inches, 19.5 inch head, and got 3 shots :( but was very brave and only cried a minute. As soon as I gave him by my lotion bottle he was fine and went on pretending to put some in his hand and rub his hands together. Like mother like son I guess.
Stay tuned for pics from our fun weekend- William's first engagement party and a trip to the hunting camp!

No comments:
Post a Comment