Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A taste of motherhood

I'm sitting here in the quiet dark typical of mornings before daylight savings, and Raughley is still asleep.  I love these mornings, because I can drink my coffee, fix his breakfast, and gasp, even brush my teeth before he wakes up.  It makes me feel gathered at the beginning of the day, instead of the frazzled I usually feel in the mornings.  Mr. Raughley is not a morning fellow on most mornings, and demands his breakfast ASAP when he gets up, which usually leaves me running around trying to keep him from falling apart while I make his eggs or pancakes or whatever mommy of the year breakfast I'm trying to fix for him.  Trying desperately to keep a balance of not giving into his every demand, but keeping him somewhat happy and getting his day off to a good start.

  Well yesterday I had a taste of what life will be like as a mom of two.  I got to babysit Caroline while Emily was out, and first of all, let me say what a doll she was.  Easy, quiet, and sweet.  While I have to say that Raughley wasn't feeling well, I saw first hand the comparison of toddler to infant.  Quite a difference that is so easily forgotten.  Each child was wonderful, but together it was a challenge.  Probably because I was trying to cook and clean at the same time.  And, I thought, if I had children these two ages, they would be 13 months apart- you do the math- that's too close for comfort for moi.   I had a huge realization that the life I run right now will drastically change once we decide to have number two.  No more multi-tasking the way I am used to, things will probably not get done around here as they have so diligently.  I will have to let go of some control!!!!

   Just some thoughts to ponder.  Now I better get Raughley's breakfast ready, and pray that he is rested and feeling better this morning.  Sickness begone!  And Caroline, come back anytime, we loved having you over to play!
Raughley at 5 months old.  

The little Mister right now.  I love this stance because it is so typical of his little trundle around the room. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking such great care of little Caroline!! You are a wonderful friend and totally mommy of the year!!!

    ReplyDelete